Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Last nights Dinner

Well... I did it.
I ravaged my cupboards, fridge and freezer and came up with dinner.
I had to make dinner at noon yesterday, because we had a basketball game (away) and a baseball game later that evening. SSOOOO, I made my famous Jammin Chicken, peas, salad and my Mama's homemade carrot cake for dessert. I packed it all up in a cooler, complete with paper plates, cup, drinks etc... and we ate it at the baseball park on a picnic table before my shift at the snack bar and Bill's baseball game.
Okay...
Saundra's Jammin Chicken
6 chicken breasts butterflied
1 onion, chopped
1 cup wine
1/2 - 1 cup Apricot Pineappple Jam
1 TBS butter
Place chicken breasts in a pan on stove to brown. Add a tiny bit of olive oil if it seems too dry. Chicken should be skinless. You can use any cut of chicken you like. I sometimes use legs and thighs, skinless.
When chicken is cooked through, take out of pan and place on dish, add onion to chicken juices and saute until soft and lightly browned.
Add wine and jam and stir to combine. Cook until wine has reduced to half and add chicken back into the pan, including the juices from the dish.
Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, at last second, add butter to enrich the sauce and serve.
We love it over mashed potatoes, with a side of peas and a salad.
I didn't have a cool snack for the kids at the basketball game, so I improvised and made celery and peanut butter sticks. They LOVED them! Next time... they want raisins on them, like ants on a log. William, 14 and too cool for me, looked at the celery and just laughed. I told him to "relive" his childhood now that he is a big strong man. He downed them in seconds.
I just went shopping this morning and only got necessities, and am going to make another
"mystery meal' tonight. It was really hard just buying a few things, but I knew it would be good for my pantry and my wallet.
I spent 26.00 for the week. Not bad, huh?
Have a great day!
Ciao