Saturday, April 26, 2008

Favorite LunchBox Sandwich

Making great lunches takes... you guessed it...organization. Make a list of foods you know your kids love and keep it going as they discover new foods.
Here is exactly what I keep on hand at all times for the kids lunches
Romaine Lettuce
Alfalfa Sprouts
Tomatoes
Roasted Red Peppers in water
Balsamic Vinegar
Honey Roasted Turkey Breast
Albacore tuna in water
Alaskan Salmon (canned)
Hummus
Tzaziki
Mustard
Italian Dressing
Peanut Butter
Assorted Jams Celery
Cucumbers
Now, I know... it looks kinda weird, not very kid friendly... but I am telling you, when I tested my sandwiches by giving my kids a half of one give to a classmate (with parental permission of course) the kids LOVED them.
THEY DIDN'T KNOW THEY LIKED THOSE INGREDIENTS BECAUSE NO ONE HAD EVER HAD THEM TRY THEM!
Oh! and NO! Those ingredients are not for one sandwich. Ha ha!
Here is a typical sandwich for my boys...
Whole Wheat roll or 6 in. sub roll
On one side I put balsamic vinegar, on the other I put a little mustard
(we don't like Mayo, if you love it... use it!)
them a layer of thinly sliced romaine lettuce
the lunch meat
a roasted red pepper slice or tomato slices
and a little more lettuce or some alfalfa sprouts. (if the tomato or peppers touch the bread, it gets soggy, so I layer up the lettuce to keep the bread drier.)
Cut in half and wrap in Press n Seal or foil.
The Balsamic vinegar just makes anything taste better. It's tangy, sweet, and just plain yummy. Notice there wasn't cheese. My boys aren't big "cheese in sandwich" lovers, but if your's do... GO FOR IT!
Sometimes when I am out of lettuce, I will thinly slice some cucumbers and layer them on the sandwich.
Enjoy!
More later!

2 comments:

Adrian said...

No, your comment didn't offend me. It made me happy! I am new to blogging as well, and having problems with my comments showing up. Half the time I can only read the first comment made, and so I am trying to figure out why...working out the kinks. I'm not too computer savvy. Anyway, I love your blogs...esp the cooking one. I made your egg salad last night and my boys loved it. (I have 3 boys as well! Fun stuff, huh?) Thanks and keep up the blogging!

Sandra said...

You, me and kathyC all have three!

Yes, having boys has enriched my life immeasurably.

I am so glad my comment didn't get deleted on purpose.

I enjoy your blog, too! I am going to add it to my blog roll!