Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tonights dinner was...

FAST!!!
Got home at 5:15 from basketball practice after school.
I really wanted all of us to sit down together to eat before the game tonight, so I had an epiphany.
I had tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, and awesome boxed, low sodium, organic soup from Smart n Final we adore, and some crusty bread.
I was in business!
We made a quick, HUGE, bowl of Italian Tuna Salad, I heated up the soup in a snap and cut the bread. For dessert we had sliced watermelon, and the men were out the door for the game with time to spare. I am staying home from the game with swollen ankles.
Soup and Salad can make a meal! My hubby loved it, and said it was just enough
and he didn't feel sluggish.
I am cooking for a friends dad's funeral this week, and forgot to post my menu. So I am cookin for the family on the fly this week.
You know how it is.
Have a wonderful evening.
Ciao!

3 comments:

angela said...

I am thankful my husband would agree with yours, it makes cooking easier sometimes.

Anonymous said...

My kids would love this meal. My oldest could live off of tuna. I also wanted to tell you that I've been living out of my pantry and freezer since I last went to the store two weeks ago! I didn't even know that I was doing this on that shopping trip, so I didn't stock up on anything extra. I normally have to go back 2-3 times for a few things here and there, and more milk and bread, but I've honestly only had to buy one more gallon of milk since my big normal grocery trip! I've impressed myself with my creativity, and on a night when I would have panicked and ran to the grocery store thinking there was no hope, I didn't give in and managed to make an awesome chili, that my kids even liked, with what I already had. I even used the pinto beans that have been in my pantry for, well, I don't know how long! Thanks for the inspiration Saundra! My fridge and pantry are getting pretty empty, but I'm sure I can make it to the weekend. I might even wait until Sunday to go to the store :)

Sandra said...

Kim, I am so glad it is working for you.

With the gas prices the way they are, and my kids tuition going up again, I felt the need to tighten the purse strings on consummables so we can still have all the creature comforts we like.

It's a simple concept, isn't it? The trick is to be self disciplined to only buy what you need when at the store, while emptying the pantry.

Thank you so much for trying it with me!