Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Alfredo... Mockfredo... Tomato, Tamato

I made my very first BAGELS today.
Yes, from my favorite new book
Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day!
They are a little lumpy and bumpy, but they taste great with mustard and honey
mixed in a bowl and dipped.
One batch made about 22 bagels. So we have bagels for a week!
***
Last night I made Penne with Pea Alfredo Sauce, green salad and homemade bread.
Juan enjoyed the meal, and told me he was flattered that I made fresh bread dinner.
I was touched.
Like I keep saying... it's easy to buy a meal for someone... but when you cook for someone, it's like giving them a huge hug right in the gut!
***
Here's my recipe for my Mockfredo Sauce.
I would have made real Alfredo Sauce
(no it would never occur to me to buy it... I'M ITALIAN! THAT IS A CARDINAL SIN!")
BUT I didn't have any marscapone or asiago cheese on hand.
***
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
10 oz cream cheese
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
(no green cans please, it will NOT turn out)
1/2 - 1 cup milk
(we only have non fat in the house, so that's what I used,
you can use regular milk or cream)
2 cups FROZEN peas (OPTIONAL)
***
Dump first four ingredients into a pot and stir until smooth and creamy. Add peas (or sundried tomatoes, or basil, or lobster, or shrimp, or crab, or chicken) and stir until temperature is hot again.
Pour over al dente cooked pasta... any shape and serve immediately.
REMEMBER...NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER rinse your pasta after cooking it.
***
Maxine... no raisins should ever see this recipe... :)
Enjoy!

No comments: