Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday Tastings

Okay so my new book, Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day, is the absolute best cookbook I have ever read. Last night, after it cooled down, My hubby sat at our island while I stir together
the ingredients for regular bread and another of Brioche.
***
He was mesmerized by how simple it was to do. He was waiting for me to knead the dough, get all messy, scrape my counter, and NONE of that took place. I just mixed the ingredients in the big plastic tub, put the lid on, and let them sit on my counter for 2 hours, then just put them in my backyard fridge! That's it! Today, if I need fresh bread for dinner, I just pull out a piece, form it, let it rise and pop it in the oven! Voila!
***
Okay, off the bread subject. My men are all home, and are always hungry it seems.
It's a full time job keeping them fed.
So now my prep involves cutting veggies into strips so they can have them for dips or salsa as an alternative to chips, which I don't buy.
I am also making a ton of cooked brown rice on prep day too. It is a great go to snack in a hurry.
You can mix it with salsa for a mexican style cold rice salad, or mix it with a little sugar and cinnamon for a quick rice breakfast, or you can heat it up and wrap it up with salsa, and cheese and a slice of roast beef or two for a quick burrito.
I'm also keeping hard boiled eggs around.
Packed with protein, they are a great grab and my kids love em. If they want two, I let them eat one whole and one without the yolk, unless they are having practice or a workout that day, then I let them have another yolk.
***
Tonights dinner is the 30 minute chicken recipe. Too hot to turn on the oven. I will be baking my bread in my back patio oven this summer.
I'll serving it with couscous seasoned with Pineapple Salsa and a tomato and onion salad dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Stay cool today!

No comments: