Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Salsa... simple, sassy and sensational!

My family LOVES salsa.
I think most people do.
I sometimes buy it, in the winter when tomatoes aren't in season, and
it tastes pretty good.
***
Last weekend, my Father in Law was over and he and Bill drove those Nascars on June 1st for Bill' Birthday and John's Father's day gift. After the races, Bill got a hankering for some salsa.
I thought I had some in the fridge... I didn't.
But I DID have a bunch of tomatoes on the vine, onion, cilantro and a lime.
I didn't have a jalapeno, but I have since bought some.
***
Can I just say that homemade Salsa tastes SO MUCH BETTER AND DIFFERENT than that
bottled or container stuff!
Holy cow! I had forgotten!
I used to make Salsa ALL THE TIME!
I just got out of the habit!
Well, I'm in the habit again!
So here's my recipe for a very simple Salsa.
I don't process it, I like a chunky salsa, but you can do whatever cooks your taquito!
***
SAUNDRA'S SIMPLE SASSY SALSA
**********
6 firm tomatoes finely chopped
(I use my Nicer Dicer)
1 finely chopped onion
1 jalapeno
1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
the juice of 1 whole lime
***
Stir it all together and get out your tortilla chips!
I store all leftovers (if there are any) in a Lock n Lock container.
***
Here are some great applications for Salsa...
Mix with softened cream cheese for a great spread or dip
Use as a topping for a baked potatoe
Stir some into Mac N Cheese
Use some in a layer for enchiladas
Mix it into cornbread mix.
Use it over eggs!
Tell me what you do with Salsa!

No comments: