Friday, May 02, 2008

Make Sandwiches interesting...

Since I gave you a break yesterday from my brain purge of the last few posts, I thought I would talk a little about breads and hopefully give you a few ideas about what
constitutes bread in my house.
First... a list
1. Crackers
2. Pita bread
3. Pretzels
4. Bagels
5. Cocktail sandwich bread
6. Wholesome Chips
7. Tortillas
8. Rolls, Kaisers, subs, biscuits, english muffins, scones,
and of course, the ever present sliced bread... we buy only whole wheat with the nuts
and seeds. I try to buy bread with 5 grams of fiber per slice.
So, there you have it... but what to do with some of these odd ingredients? That's why I write this blog.
We've already talked a little about pretzels, but they make great alternatives to chips for dipping into hummus or ranch dips, or just buy the bigger, sourdough kind (yummy) put a couple in a baggie, and include a dipping cup of mustard and honey.
Ever had PB&J on saltines? mmmmm!
Or just slice some cheese and tomato, put them separately into a bento or compartmental plastic box, with some great crackers and you have just made your own "Lunchable" without the 59 grams of fat and
all the hydrogenated oils. Add anything you want! Mine love sliced cucumber, cheddar cheese, cherry tomatoes and hot sauce. (I know, weird, but hey!!! veggies!!! not complaining!)
In a hurry? Schmeer some cream cheese on a bagel and you are done making a lunch sandwich!!! Mine beg for that!
Buy a big bottle of your favorite salad dressing and pour them into little 2 oz. dip cups with lids and keep them in the fridge. Make up your own snack bags of carrots, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes or whatever veggies your kids love and just grab them for lunches!
Cocktail sandwich bread makes everything fun! Use them just like regular bread and fill them with whatever floats your boat!
I love using them for Nutella spread on special days, like the kids birthday or on Fridays.
Tortillas are great for things like veggies wraps or my famous Salmon Spread or tuna.
They love them rolled up.
When food is different and fun to eat, they are more apt to eat it... all!
I pack a little more than I know they can eat, and encourage them to take a nibble of the leftovers during carpool. That way, while we run errands after school, they aren't famished and cranky. Just make sure to have a good quality ice pack in their lunches.
I like the gel filled flexible packs.
Well, I hope this helped...
More to come!
Also, Please give me your ingenious ideas! I love learning!!
Ciao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Livi likes peanut butter and nutella sandwiches. Nutella is more nutritious than jelly....more calories as well, but if your kids are as active and as slim as mine, it's all good:)

Sandra said...

I agree. It has fiber, protein, essential oils... and, It is SOOOO Italian! We both know about that, don't we..."anonymous"

So nice hearing from you! We need to do lunch again soon!