Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Johnny's favorite Pasta

My little guy, Johnny's, Birthday is coming up in June. No I didn't forget about William, but his birthday dinner choice has already been blogged about, but his Birthday is this weekend.
Okay, so back on task...
This morning on the drive to school, our topic was choices for what my men wanted me to make for their Birthday dinners.
They get to choose whatever they want, even if its all side dishes.
So Johnny pipes up and says
"Mama, you know I love being Italian, and I just want a light pasta with, you know,with the Olive Oil and Zucchini" Yes, I swooned.
He was so grown up about it too.
He even used his little fingers to show me the sprinkling of Romano Cheese he wanted on it too.
When I asked what sides he wanted he says "Just a salad with a creamy Caesar dressing, and come good garlic bread... that's all, pasta has to stay simple... right?"
I almost died. He listens when I speak!!!
He also loves to cook, and is my official "al dente" tester.
So here is Johnny's Zucchini Pasta Recipe
************************************
1 lb pasta, cooked al dente in salted water, drained and sprinkled with olive oil
While pasta is cooking
Slice into 1/4 inch disks, 3 Zucchini and lightly salt them.
In a frying pan or on a baking sheet, layers the slices and cook them in Olive Oil (brush them if cooking in the oven under broiler or at high heat in center rack) until lightly browned.
To the Pasta after it's cooked, add olive oil so it doesn't stick and sprinkle with grated cheese and freshly cracked black pepper
Pour into a large serving bowl and place the cooked zucchini on top of the Pasta,
Say grace and dig in!
My favorite pasta to use here is Vermicelli, or angel hair. It cooks very quickly so do the Zucchini first.
Mangia Bene!
Ciao!

2 comments:

Adrian said...

ooohhh...I love italian food and now I have a real italian source! Cant wait to try this. I am always looking for new ways to use zucchini.

Anonymous said...

Saundra, my husband has converted us to whole wheat pasta for various health concerns. I'm not a fan of the taste. Any ideas?